Offices of the Waikato Hospital & Charitable Aid Board
Photograph Production date
Circa 1925 See full details
Waikato Hospital & Charitable Aid Board offices on Hood Street. To the left is Hood Street Mart. The building was purpose built in 1903 for the Waikato District Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. According to the Waikato Argus newspaper the spacious building was likely to meet the requirements of the Board for all time. In March 1911 a fire gutted the building and destroyed many of the Board's pre-1901 records. By 1937 Waikato Hospital was one of the country's largest hospitals and with it's growing number of records and new office technology (such as typewriters) it was decided a larger office was needed. The board moved to new buildings in Marlborough Place (now Sapper Moore-Jones) in 1938.
Be the first to comment.