Ward Street is prominent in this image. It cuts through the west town belt at the front of the image and veers off into Seddon Road at left. The empty lot on this corner is now Norris Ward Park. The west town belt continues across Ward Street, where it is bordered by Hinemoa Street (now Tristram Street); and Tainui Street, which runs up the hill to the first Hill Street (now Lake Road). The buildings on the town belt belong to Hamilton High School which opened in 1911. This belt land was taken in 1909, under the Public Works Act 1908, for the purposes of a public school. Also visible in this photograph are the railway line and station, the saleyards, Bryce Street (formerly another Grey Street) and Victoria Street.
Maker and role
Henry Gaze, Photographer
Secondary production person and role