This aerial photograph by Whites Aviation shows ten of the twenty two original sections of the Hamilton West Town Belt. In the foreground is section 4, which was cut in two by the extension of Mill Street in 1915. The portion at the bottom of the photograph is a rugby training ground, now part of FMG Stadium Waikato. Between Mill Street and Rostrevor Street is Hinemoa Park. The playing fields at the Rostrevor Street end were tennis and croquet courts while those at the Mill Street end were used for rugby league and athletics sports. Later the tennis courts were moved to this end. In 1991 the Hamilton and Whitiora Bowling Clubs merged and built new greens at the corner of Mill Street and Seddon Road. The triangular lot across Rostrevor Street is Boyes Park. It was also used for sport including women's hockey; cricket; and netball. Circuses once used the park too. Founders Theatre now occupies the far corner of this lot. Across Norton Road is the cricket ground which in 1906 became known as Seddon Park. The wooden pavilion, built around 1908, is situated next to Seddon Road. Across Bryce Street is section 11, at this time accommodated by the Hamilton Borough Council's works depot and the St John Ambulance service. Across Ward Street and heading up to the right is Hamilton Girls High School on former town belt sections 12, 13 and 14. Sections 13 and 14 were obtained under the Hamilton High School Reserve Act 1913.
Maker and role
Whites Aviation, Photographer
Secondary production person and role