Waikato Hospital nurses enjoyed their spare time relaxing on Hamilton Lake (Lake Rotoroa). Here they are boating near the original boatshed. In 1886 the lake was declared a reserve for public recreation under the control of the Hamilton Domain Board. By the beginning of the 20th century, brass band concerts, boat carnivals, moonlight parties and rowing races were regular events. Rowing boats were available for hire at 1 shilling per hour and the Hamilton Band used to play in the Lake Domain on Sunday afternoon. Since then, the lake has been the venue for many activities including concerts, waka ama, dragon boating, ballooning, hockey and cricket. Around 1913 the Board began clearing scrub and planting trees. They built a bathing shed, miniature golf course, kiosk and a model yacht lagoon. Work halted during World War II but began again in the 1950s when local groups and businesses became involved. Paths were made, sand brought in and play equipment was donated.