Boating on Hamilton Lake

Object type
Photograph
Production date
1920
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Waikato Hospital nurses enjoyed their spare time relaxing on Hamilton Lake (Lake Rotoroa). Here they are boating near the original boatshed. In 1886 the lake was declared a reserve for public recreation under the control of the Hamilton Domain Board. By the beginning of the 20th century, brass band concerts, boat carnivals, moonlight parties and rowing races were regular events. Rowing boats were available for hire at 1 shilling per hour and the Hamilton Band used to play in the Lake Domain on Sunday afternoon. Since then, the lake has been the venue for many activities including concerts, waka ama, dragon boating, ballooning, hockey and cricket. Around 1913 the Board began clearing scrub and planting trees. They built a bathing shed, miniature golf course, kiosk and a model yacht lagoon. Work halted during World War II but began again in the 1950s when local groups and businesses became involved. Paths were made, sand brought in and play equipment was donated.
Accession number
HCL_00405

Colours

Object type

Subject category

Share

Rights

Many of the collection images are protected by copyright. For queries about permission to use images, please contact heritage@hcc.govt.nz.

Comments


Be the first to comment.