St Peter's Church on Victoria Street
Photograph Production date
Circa 1890 See full details
Two women sit on the wall around St Peter's Church on Victoria Street. This church was the third Anglican church in Hamilton. The first church burned to the ground in 1867 and a second smaller church, built in 1871, was sold to the Waikato Times in 1875. This church was completed in 1884 and consecrated in 1887. Unfortunately the church was built out of kahikatea timber which was prone to borer and it became unsafe for use. It was eventually replaced by St Peter's Cathedral, which still stands today. A hall was built on the vacant lot to the right of the church in 1894.
Be the first to comment.