Government Buildings on Knox Street
Photograph Production date
Circa 1915 See full details
This stone building was built for public purposes, on the south side of Knox Street between Victoria Street and Anglesea Street. The building was completed in 1913. Sometimes referred to as the Government Buildings, or Public Works buildings, it housed the Defence, Agricultural, Public Works, and Lands and Surveys departments. The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages and the Inspector of Machinery also had offices here. The building has long since been demolished but remnants of the wall remain. The motorcar in the photograph appears to be a Ford Model T with electric lights, a feature that became available in 1915.
Be the first to comment.