Victoria Street south

Object type
Photograph
Production date
Circa 1870
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Looking north along Victoria Street. The first Hamilton Hotel is on the right. This hotel was opened in March of 1865. It became the venue for various meetings of the settlers including those of the Hamilton Highway Board, the Waikato Jockey Club and the shareholders of the Hamilton Flour Mill Company (Limited). The hotel changed hands several times before being purchased in 1872 by James Harper, who added a billiard room and an extra 25 bedrooms. The hotel burnt down in 1898.
Accession number
HCL_02480

Colours

Subject auto tags

Object type

Part of 1 highlight set

Share

Rights

Many of the collection images are protected by copyright. For queries about permission to use images, please contact heritage@hcc.govt.nz.

Comments


Be the first to comment.