Interior of St Peter's Church

Object type
Photograph
Production date
1887
See full details

Object Detail


Description
The interior of St Peter's Church on Victoria Street in Hamilton, New Zealand decorated for Easter 1887. This church was the third Anglican church in Hamilton, after the first one burned to the ground in 1867 and a second smaller one, built in 1871, was sold to the Waikato Times in 1875. This church was completed in 1884 and consecrated in 1887. Unfortunately the church was built out of kahikatea timber which was prone to borer, and became unsafe for use. It was eventually replaced by St Peter's Cathedral, which still stands today.
Accession number
HCL_00219

Colours

Object type

Share

Rights

Many of the collection images are protected by copyright. For queries about permission to use images, please contact heritage@hcc.govt.nz.

Comments


Be the first to comment.