St Peter's Church on Victoria Street
Photograph Production date
Circa 1895 See full details
A man on a horse waits on Victoria Street in front of the St Peter's Church (on left). The church hall is on the right and is still standing today. The church was completed in 1884 and consecrated in 1887. Unfortunately the church was built out of kahikatea timber which was prone to borer, so the church became unsafe for use. It was eventually replaced by St Peter's Cathedral. This photo was taken prior to the level of Victoria Street being lowered and is from a Muir & Moodie postcard.
Be the first to comment.