Garden Place as a car park c. 1940

Object type
Photograph
Production date
Circa 1940
See full details

Object Detail


Description
A view of Garden Place as a car park shortly after the hill was removed. The new Chief Post Office, not yet opened, was completed in 1940. To the left in the foreground is Worley Street with Garden Place (the street) running through to Victoria Street. Alexandra Street intersects. Carnegie Library is directly ahead on Victoria Street. Note with photograph reads ” Vacant section adjoining building is property claiming compensation”. [It is believed the owners of this building sued Hamilton Borough Council over losses incurred by the removal of the hill].
Accession number
HCL_02072

Colours

Object type

Part of 2 highlight sets

Share

Rights

Many of the collection images are protected by copyright. For queries about permission to use images, please contact heritage@hcc.govt.nz.

Comments


Be the first to comment.