The Commercial Bank of Australia and the Bank of Australasia
Photograph Production date
Circa 1939 See full details
These two banks were located on the river side of Victoria Street near to Garden Place. On the left is the Commercial Bank of Australia (which became part of Westpac Bank in 1982). On the right is the Bank of Australasia Ltd (which merged in 1951 with the Union Bank of Australia to form the A & NZ Bank Ltd now ANZ Banking). To the right again is a building well covered with ivy. Kia Ora Tea Rooms was in this building in the 1920s and is possibly still there in this photograph. A blurred sign offers something for 1/3d (one shilling and threepence = $0.15). The sign appears to state 'Dining Room' at the top. This photo was taken about 4pm.
Be the first to comment.