Money Order and Savings Bank office

Object type
Photograph
Production date
Circa 1939
See full details

Object Detail


Description
This office, an adjunct of the Post Office (far left), was built c. 1920 at the top of Grantham Street. It has the words 'Money Order' on the left and 'Savings Bank' on it. Above the door are the letters 'G.R.', but not in official cipher. The land and building were gifted to Hamilton Borough Council in 1941 by Mrs Allen (Helen Shaw) Bell for use as a museum and art gallery; a precursor to what the area has become the location of. There are a few movie posters visible between the two buildings. They're not easy to read, but a couple are clearly advertising Laurel & Hardy films.
Accession number
HCL_01084

Colours

Object type

Subject category

Share

Rights

Many of the collection images are protected by copyright. For queries about permission to use images, please contact heritage@hcc.govt.nz.

Comments


Be the first to comment.