The Bank of New Zealand

Object type
Photograph
Production date
Circa 1939
See full details

Object Detail


Description
The Bank of New Zealand building on the corner of Victoria and Hood streets. The building was designed by Edward Mahoney and completed in 1878. It cost 3900 pounds to build and was unusual at the time because it was built of brick, not timber. The single-level extensions to the Hood Street side of the building were done around 1908. The BNZ vacated the building in 1986. After being unused for several years, it was refurbished in 1994 and opened as a bar and cafe.
Subject person
Accession number
HCL_01077

Colours

Object type

Subject category

Share

Rights

Many of the collection images are protected by copyright. For queries about permission to use images, please contact heritage@hcc.govt.nz.

Comments


Be the first to comment.