Victoria Street buildings and businesses
Photograph Production date
Circa 1939 See full details
Viewed looking southwest from the left are McGuire's Buildings (dated 1908) housing the Centreway Dining Rooms/Reception Room where dining, teas and luncheon were available. Also in McGuire's buildings were: Balfour, Irvine & Webster Ltd - Opticians and The Juvenile Band Box (which later moved to Hauraki Buildings in Garden Place). Next is J R McKenzie Ltd, Department Store. In the next building are: Self Help Co-op Ltd (early type of grocery supermarket); Henderson's Shoe Store; Hugh Wrights - Tailors and Mercers. Motor cars and a lorry are parked along the street. Angle parking was the norm in Victoria Street at the time.
Be the first to comment.