Looking from Garden Place Hill roughly north east across Victoria Street. On the left is Pascoes Building which was at the time Frear's Building - Pascoes shop was on the ground floor. Directly ahead is Hamilton's Carnegie Library (opened 1908) which was the public library until 1960. To the left of the library and partly obscured is the original municipal chambers which was, at the time of this photo, an insurance office. Built out of two militia huts with a false classical front, the building was replaced by the Security Building in 1924. Mostly obscured on the right is the Hamilton Courthouse (opened 1906) which was replaced the the Anglesea Street court in 1931. Also visible in the photo is the bell tower of St Andrews Presbyterian Church on the corner of River Road and Te Aroha Street in Claudelands.