Victoria Street south

Object type
Photograph
Production date
1908
See full details

Object Detail


Description
A good view of buildings and businesses on the west side of Victoria Street from Collingwood Street looking south. On the corner of Collingwood Street and Victoria Street are the Wesley Buildings, at the time occupied by The Cosey Corner Store, a clothing, drapery and millinery store; the Fiji Fruit Store, "All fruit at town prices"; Thomas Tidd's Golden Gate boot & shoe store; and George Stone, family butcher. Squeezed between the Wesley Buildings and the under construction Imperial Chambers building was Edward Jones, saddler. Further south is the Alexandra Buildings, occupied by J.H. Fort, tailor; and Jacob H. Wright, land agent for Samuel Vaile & Sons. Henry Howden's third and last jewellery store building is also visible. Bills on a structure at left advertise a concert by Auckland contralto, Miss Irene Ainsley, to be held at the Town Hall.
Accession number
HCL_08888

Colours

Object type

Subject category

Share

Rights

Many of the collection images are protected by copyright. For queries about permission to use images, please contact heritage@hcc.govt.nz.

Comments


Be the first to comment.